As quickly as United Shore Financial Services has become one of the largest, fastest-growing mortgage lending companies, so are the reasons to celebrate milestones and the people who drive its growth. Leadership from the Broad College of Business joined United Shore at its metro-Detroit offices on January 31 to celebrate two honors: the investiture of Douglas Hughes, associate professor of marketing and interim department chairperson, to the United Shore Faculty Fellow in Sales Leadership, and to present United Shore’s President and CEO, Mat Ishbia, with Broad’s Young Alumni Award.

Douglas Hughes, Sanjay Gupta and Mat Ishbia

Douglas Hughes, Dean Sanjay Gupta, and Broad College Distinguished Young Alumni Award recipient Mat Ishbia at the United Shore headquarters in Troy, Michigan. [Photo Jan. 31, 2017 by MATTHEW DAE SMITH | for the Broad College of Business]

The United Shore Faculty Fellowship endowment, created in 2015, represents an investment in the college’s sales research and education. “In the world of higher education, endowed chairs represent are a purposeful investment that demonstrates how committed we are to academic excellence, and that we’ve raised the bar in scholastic competitiveness,” said Sanjay Gupta, dean of the Broad College of Business. “This position will deepen the Broad College’s knowledge in the world of sales leadership, and is a tremendous step forward for us,” he said.

Mat Ishbia (BA General Management ’03) received the Broad College Young Alumni Award for his ongoing commitment, support, and engagement with the college and its academic advancement. Since his days at Michigan State, where he was also a varsity basketball player and a high-performing student, Ishbia has exuded business acumen and Spartan pride. “In his 14-year career, Mat has put United Shore on a global map in terms of profit, corporate culture, and innovation. He gives back at an unprecedented level as a mentor to MSU students and stays closely involved with the Spartan basketball team, where he once played,” Gupta said. “He has his finger on the pulse of what’s happening at the university and business college, and gives back in time, energy, and passion.”

In his own words, here is what Ishbia said about his Young Alumni Award and Broad College of Business experience:

What inspires you to keep giving back to MSU and the Broad College?

“MSU and Broad made such a difference in my life.  I am very grateful to MSU and in particular the Broad College, for setting me up for success in the world of business.  As a Spartan alum, I feel that giving back to the university is the best way to show my appreciation.”

What has been the most rewarding interaction or memory you’ve had on campus as an alum?

“Some of my most rewarding memories are from the experiences I had while working on projects in class and collaborating with other students.  Learning the art of communication and working together as a team to achieve one goal.

“However, I would have to say my most memorable times on campus, outside of class was being a part of the MSU Basketball team and being led by Coach Izzo.  I was lucky see one of the world’s best coaches in action and it has significantly shaped my career and formed me into the man I am today.”

Is there something that you learned at Broad that you still practice/do every day?

“I learned so much from Broad College, the learning environment was top notch.  I learned how to effectively collaborate with others and how to build a solid business foundation.”

What piece of advice would you give a recent graduate?

“Through hard work and dedication, you can accomplish anything.  MSU gives you the tools to succeed, and with these tools, along with hard work and the drive to succeed, the sky is the limit.”