Ernest W. & Robert W. Schaberg Endowed Chair in Accounting
Department: Accounting and Information Systems
Office: N207 Business College Complex
Ranjani Krishnan received her MBA from the University of Pittsburgh in 1993 and her PhD in 1998. She teaches management accounting and operational management at the MBA, Executive MBA, Executive, and PhD programs. Ranjani's research has been published in journals such as The Academy of management Journal, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Health Economics, Journal of Management Accounting Research, Strategic Management Journal, and The Accounting Review. She is the recipient of the 2015 Best Paper Award of the Academy of Management Annual Meeting (Health Care Management Division), 2013 Best Paper Award of the Journal of Management Accounting Research, 2012 Greatest Impact on Managerial Accounting Practice Award, the 2006 Notable Contribution to the Accounting Research Award, the 2005 Notable Contribution to the Management Accounting Literature Award, and the 1999 McLaughlin Prize for Research in Accounting Ethics. She is also the recipient of the Teacher-Scholar Award from Michigan State University (2003), the Withrow Emerging Scholar (2006) and Withrow Teacher-Scholar Award (2012) from the Broad College, the outstanding faculty research award from the Accounting and Information Systems Department (2002, 2014), the faculty excellence in teaching award from the Accounting and Information Systems Department, and the 2013, 2014, and 2015 Executive MBA Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award. She was a visiting professor at Harvard Business School during 2008-09. She was an editor of The Accounting Review (2008-2011) and Editor in Chief of the Journal of Management Accounting Research (2013-2015). She is currently an associate editor of Accounting, Organizations, and Society, and Management Science.
Managerial accounting and control, cost accounting, cost behavior, health care
- Krishnan, R., J. Mistry, and V.G. Narayanan. 2012. A Field Study on the Acceptance and Use of a New Accounting System. Journal of Management Accounting Research 24: 103-133.
- Krishnan, R., and G. Bai. 2012. Role of Management Accounting Systems in Facilitating Organizational Learning in Group Settings. Journal of Management Accounting Research 24: 201-220.
- Krishnan, R., Miller, F., and Sedatole, S. 2012. An Empirical Examination of the Relationship between Performance Measurement, Collaborative Contracting, and Asset Ownership. Contemporary Accounting Research, in press.
- Fichman, R., Kohli, R., and Krishnan, R. 2011. The Role of Information Systems in Healthcare: Current Research and Future Trends. Information Systems Research, 22(3): 419"“428
- Krishnan, R. and Yetman, M. 2011. Institutional Drivers of Reporting Decisions in Nonprofit Hospitals", with Michelle Yetman, Journal of Accounting Research, 49 (4): 1001-1039.
- Balakrishnan, R., Eldenburg, L., Krishnan, R., and Soderstrom, N. 2010. The Influence of Institutional Constraints on Outsourcing. Journal of Accounting Research. 48: 4. 767-794.
- Bai, G., Krishnan, R. and Coronado, F. 2010. The Role of Performance Measure Noise in Mediating the Relation between Task Complexity and Outsourcing. Journal of Management Accounting Research. 22: 1. 75-102.
- Hannan, L., Krishnan, R., and Newman, D. 2008. The Effects of Disseminating Relative Performance Feedback in Tournament versus Individual Performance Compensation Plans. The Accounting Review. 83.
- Eldenburg L., and Krishnan, R. 2008. The Influence of Ownership on the Governance Role of Accounting Information. Contemporary Accounting Research. Vol 25: 3.
- Kulkarni, R., Pawar, A., Krishnan, R., Davis, K., and Bosma, K. 2008. Perceptions about Quality of Life in a School-Based Population of Adolescents with Menorrhagia: Implications for Adolescents with Bleeding Disorders. Haemophilia,14(3): 579-583.
- Krishnan, R., Yetman, M, and Yetman, R. 2006. Expense Misreporting in Nonprofit Organizations. The Accounting Review. 81: 2. 399-420.
- Krishnan, R. Luft, J. and Shields, M. 2005) Effects of Accounting-Method Choices on Subjective Performance-Measure Weighting: Experimental Evidence on Precision and Error Covariance. The Accounting Review. 80: 4. 1163-1192.
- Krishnan, R., Joshi, S. and Krishnan, R. 2004. Effects of mergers on firms"™ product mix strategies. Strategic Management Journal. 25: 6. 587-611.
- Krishnan, R. and Krishnan, H. 2003. Effects of hospital mergers and acquisitions on prices. Journal of Business Research. 56. 647-656.
- Eldenburg, L. and Krishnan, R. 2003. Public versus private governance: A study of incentives and operational performance. Journal of Accounting and Economics. 35: 3. 377-404.
- Krishnan, R., Luft, J.and Shields, M. 2002. Competition and cost accounting: Adapting to changing markets. Contemporary Accounting Research. 19: 2. 271-302.
- Evans, J.H, Hannan, L., Krishnan, R., and Moser, D. 2001. Honesty in Managerial Reporting. The Accounting Review. 76: 4. 537-559.
- Krishnan, R. 2001. Market restructuring and pricing in the hospital industry. Journal of Health Economics. 20. 213-237.
- Holzhacker, M., R. Krishnan, and M.
Mahlendorf. The Impact of Changes in
Regulation on Cost Behavior. Contemporary
Accounting Research, Forthcoming.
- PIM 812: Management Accounting
- ACC 843: Operational Management Accounting
- ACC 841: Strategic Management Accounting
- ACC 950: Seminar in Economics Based Research in Management Accounting