Department: Supply Chain Management
Office: N357 Business College Complex
Dr. Sriram Narayanan is an Associate Professor with the Department of Supply Chain Management. Prior to his doctoral degree in Operations Technology and Innovation Management at University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, he received his undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering and an MBA from the University of Delhi, India. His industry experience includes working for Maruti Udyog Limited, a subsidiary of Suzuki Motor Corporation, and HCL Technologies, a software services company. Dr. Narayanan's primary research interests are in managing productivity and innovation in knowledge intensive work environments. His passion is to work on real problems in the field and crafting research issues from those. His research has been published or is forthcoming in several journals including Management Science, Strategic Management Journal, Production and Operations Management, Journal of Operations Management, Decision Sciences, Journal of Retailing and Journal of Academy of Marketing Science among others. He is currently the co-department editor for Journal of Operations Management for the Inter-organizational Relations department. He is a Senior Editor in Production and Operations Management Journal in the Supply Chain Management Department and Associate Editor at the Decision Sciences Journal. He is also on the editorial review board of IEEE Transactions of Engineering Management. He was a past Lilly Teaching Fellow at the Michigan State University for the year 2013-2014. He has won outstanding reviewer awards from Journal of Operations Management and Decision Sciences Journal; and outstanding senior editor award from the Production and Operations Management Journal. He also has played a leadership role in editing proceedings, being a track chair, and in organizing both national and international conferences.
Supply Chain Management, Sourcing, Managing Services, Knowledge Management, Empirical Research, Archival Data Analysis, Project Management, Innovation in services and manufacturing
- Sridhar, Shrihari, Sriram Narayanan and Raji Srinivasan (2013) "Dynamically Coordinating Inventory, R&D, and Advertising Spending" Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Forthcoming.
- Narayanan, Sriram and Ram Narasimhan (2013) "Contract choice, supplier characteristics and sourcing relationship performance" Decision Sciences Journal, Forthcoming.
- Narasimhan, Ram, Sriram Narayanan, and Ravi Srinivasan (2013) "An Investigation of Justice in Supply Chain Relationships and their Performance Impact," Journal of Operations Management, 31(5) 236-247.
- Narasimhan, Ram and Sriram Narayanan (2013) "Perspectives on Supply Chain Driven Innovation" Journal of Supply Chain Management, Forthcoming.
- Narayanan, Sriram, Jayashankar M. Swaminathan and Srinivas Talluri (2013) "Knowledge Diversity, Turnover, and Organizational-Unit Productivity: An Empirical Analysis in a Knowledge-Intensive Context" Production and Operations Management Journal, Early View. (In order of last names)
- Raji Srinivasan, Sridhar Shrihari, Sriram Narayanan and Debika Sihi (2013) "Opening vs Closing Outlets? Effects of Distribution Intensity on Firm Performance: Insights from Retail Industry" Journal of Retailing, 89(2) 126-139. (Equal Authorship) This study was featured in the Strategy + Business Blog of Booz Allen Hamilton http://www.strategy-business.com/article/re00241 and MSU Today, http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2013/for-retailers-closing-stores-may-boost-value/
- Lahiri, Nandini and Sriram Narayanan (2013) "Vertical Integration, Innovation and Alliance Portfolio: Implications for Firm Performance" Strategic Management Journal, 34(9) 1042-1064.
- Jayaraman, Vaidy, Sriram Narayanan, Yadong Luo and Jayashankar Swaminathan (2013) "Offshoring Business Process Services and Governance Control Mechanisms in Emerging Markets: An Examination of Service Providers from India" Production and Operations Management Journal, 22(2) 314"“334.
- Narayanan, Sriram, Vaidy Jayaraman, Yadong Luo and Jayashankar Swaminathan (2011) "The Antecedents of Process Integration in Business Process Outsourcing and its Effect on Firm Performance" Journal of Operations Management, 29(1-2) 3-16. (Lead Article).
- Narayanan, Sriram, Sridhar Balasubramanian and Jayashankar Swaminathan (2011) "Managing Outsourced Software Projects: Antecedents of Project Performance and Customer Satisfaction" Production and Operations Management Journal, 20(4) 508"“521.
- Narasimhan, Ram, Sriram Narayanan (2009) "In Search of Outsourcing Excellence" Supply Chain Management Review, March, 36-42.
- Narayanan, Sriram, Sridhar Balasubramanian and Jayashankar Swaminathan (2009) "A Matter of Balance: Specialization, Task Variety, and Individual Learning in a Software Maintenance Environment" Management Science, 55(2) 1861-1876.
- Narayanan, Sriram, Ann Marucheck and Robert Handfield (2009) "Electronic Data Interchange: Meta - Analysis, Research Review and Future Directions" Decision Sciences, 40(1) 121-163.
- SCM 372: Manufacturing Planning and Control
- SCM 883: Product Innovation and Technology Management
- SCM 869: Service Supply Chain Management
- SCM 916: Statistical Research Methods