History of the Broad College
The Michigan Legislature passes Act 130 to establish the Agricultural College of the State of Michigan and appropriated “twenty-two sections of Salt Spring Lands for its support and maintenance…” and $40,000 to carry the college through its first two years of operation. The school was formally opened and dedicated on May 13, 1857.
J. G. Ramsdell begins teaching bookkeeping and commercial law at Michigan Agricultural College (the college’s name was changed from the original the same year); in a 1954 article, “The process of change: A look at the development of the College of Business,” by former Assistant Professor Margaret MacColl and retired faculty member John W. Ruswinckel, Ramsdell is referred to as “the father of MSU’s College of Business.”.
Double-entry bookkeeping concepts first taught at the Michigan Agricultural College.
Introduction of a formal course called “Farm Management and Accounts”.
The college is renamed again as the Michigan Agricultural College.
Specific courses are created in accounting, marketing, and finance and are taught by the Department of History and Economics.
David Friday, a nationally known economist, is appointed president of Michigan Agricultural College and establishes many new courses, including the major in Economics.
E.A. Gee is the first faculty member in the Department of Economics to be trained in Accounting; he will become the director of the Division of Business in 1951.
The Michigan Agricultural College is renamed the Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science.
The School of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management is established.
John A. Hannah becomes president of Michigan State University, initiating a period of remarkable growth for the university; he remains president until 1969.
MSU creates a new division, the School of Business and Public Service, combining business, hotel administration, police and public administration, and social service programs.
Colonel Dorsey Rodney appointed dean.
Accounting is first offered as a major.
Herman J. Wyngarden appointed dean.
The School of Business and Public Service is separated into two divisions: the Division of Business and the Division of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management; the Doctor of Business Administration Program is established.
The Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center is built; today it provides The School of Hospitality Business with classrooms, food service laboratories and learning environments.
Bureau of Business Research established to gather current business statistics of interest to faculty and the business community; it also provided an independent publishing outlet.
The business administration program is accepted for accreditation at the undergraduate level by the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
During the centennial year of the institution, its name was changed to Michigan State University of Agriculture and Applied Science.
The business administration program gains the formal status of a college within the university, and is known as the College of Business.
Alfred L. Seelye appointed dean.
The Master of Business Administration program is established.
The Eugene C. Eppley Center is built for “graduate training in the fields of hotel, restaurant and institutional management.” Eppley, a hotel executive and philanthropist, was known as the largest individual hotel operator in the world, owning more than 20 hotels between 1915 and 1956. He died in 1958.
The new state constitution shortens the university’s name to Michigan State University.
The business college starts an off-campus degree-granting program called the Advanced Management Program; this would become the Executive MBA of today, which is offered at the Management Education Center in Troy, Michigan.
The Graduate School of Business Administration and the Business Alumni Association join in sponsoring the first annual Detroit Management Conference; in 2002, this was renamed as the Broad Executive Forum.
The Business Alumni Association is founded.
Up to this point, the business school had awarded 39 doctoral degrees and 528 master’s degrees.
Eli Broad receives the Distinguished Business Alumni Award.
Executive development seminars begin in the Kellogg Center as a form of continuing education; today the Broad College offers a full range of open enrollment and customized Executive Development Programs.
Kullervo Louhi is appointed dean.
Richard J. Lewis is appointed dean.
William Lazer, professor of Marketing and the American Marketing Association President, is appointed by President Ford to the Advisory Committee for Trade Negotiations.
The Management Education Center is built in Troy, Mich., thanks to significant donations from General Motors, Chrysler and Ford Motor Company along with alumni and other industry leaders, to create a permanent home for the Advanced Management Program (now known as the Executive MBA program).
AACSB accounting accreditation granted for both bachelor’s and master’s degree programs.
The Materials and Logistics Management program begins as a new major.
Eli Broad pledges $20 million to the College of Business and the Graduate School of Management.
The North Business Complex is built on Bogue Street connected to the Eppley Center. The new building was a key project of MSU 2000: Access to Opportunity.
James B. Henry is appointed dean.
The Program in Integrative Management (PIM) begins, which later became the popular Weekend MBA program, now offered at the James B. Henry Center for Executive Development.
The William C. Gast Business Library opens in the lower level of the College of Law building on North Shaw Lane across from the Eppley Center.
The Lear Corporation Career Services Center opens, providing an undergraduate career planning and placement facility.
The James B. Henry Center for Executive Development opens, a $16 million project that draws business executives from across the nation for degree and certificate programs.
The high-tech Financial Analysis Laboratory opens, allowing students to experience professional-level securities trading technology.
Robert B. Duncan is appointed dean.
The IBM On-Demand Supply Chain Laboratory is established with a Shared University Research (SUR) award from IBM; it is the first of a series of laboratories that will be set up at The Smeal College of Business at Penn State University, The W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University and The Smurfit School of Business at University College Dublin.
The Team Effectiveness Teaching Laboratory opens in Eppley Center, allowing the expansion of course offerings in leadership and teamwork to both MBA students and undergraduates.
The Center for Leadership of the Digital Enterprise (CLODE) is established to study how firms can creatively – and successfully – combine information technologies (IT) with business processes and strategies.
The Institute for Entrepreneurship is created, and is comprised of two separate centers: the Center for Venture Capital, Private Equity and Entrepreneurial Finance (CVCPEEF) and the Center for Entrepreneurial Strategy.
The Campaign for MSU, a seven-year fundraising initiative, comes to a successful close; the Broad College’s endowment grows to $50 million.
Stefanie A. Lenway is appointed dean.
The John and Marnie Demmer Center for Business Transformation is established to help Michigan-based manufacturing businesses transform into lean, agile global competitors, increasing their presence and profitability in domestic as well as global markets and opening the doors to new employment opportunities for Michigan workers.
The newly renovated J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation Culinary Business Learning Lab opens in the Kellogg Center, providing a state-of-the-art learning lab for students in The School of Hospitality Business.
The Broad College develops online certificate programs in supply chain management, hospitality business, and management for working professionals as part of its Executive Development Programs.
A master’s degree in business analytics is created to meet the growing need for professionals who can analyze large data sets to guide business decisions.
The Broad College’s top-ranked Department of Supply Chain Management took the lead in opening the Midland Research Institute for Value Chain Creation, which focuses on “grand challenge” advances and solutions in value chain management.
A master’s degree in management, strategy, and leadership launches, the college’s first degree available exclusively online.
Broad’s executive-style MBA programming (known formerly as the Advanced Management Program, the Program in Integrative Management, and the Weekend MBA) celebrates its 50th anniversary and returns to the Executive MBA program name.
Sanjay Gupta is appointed dean.