By Cassidy Johncox
Broad Student Writer
The Lear Corporation Career Services Center in the Eli Broad College of Business is now offering a student workshop series focused on undergraduate career development.
Workshops in the “Career Planning and Preparation Series” are held every other Wednesday 11 a.m.–noon in the McDonel Hall Kiva (room C107). These workshops are led by Brandy Taylor, Lear Center graduate assistant.
Taylor creates an engaging environment by giving students an opportunity to ask questions and share their experiences related to the topic.
While the workshops are intended for freshmen and sophomores, Taylor leads workshops with company representatives to incorporate employee perspectives for any student interested in career development opportunities.
The topics of the upcoming workshops are as follows:
- 2/24/16: Interview Strategies
- 3/16/16: Post-Interview/Next Steps
- 3/30/16: LinkedIn/Facebook & Social Network Presence
Taylor shared a few tips that were offered at the last workshop, which discussed resumes and cover letters:
- If you don’t have a resume, use a timeline to determine employment, organization, and/or volunteer involvement
- Use reverse chronological order and past tense for experience
- Ensure everything is grammatically correct; the Lear Center offers peer editing
- Place experience in the form of bullet points: verb, task/skill, impact on yourself/organization/team or customer, and quantify numerically when possible (Example: “Provided courteous and prompt customer service to guests in a dining hall for a population of approximately 7,500”)
- For the cover letter: refer to the sample cover letter in the Career Passport brochure, which is available at Career Services locations
By attending the Career Planning and Preparation Series, BUS 102 students are able to receive credit towards completing the Engagement Choice assignment.
All students who participate, however, are gaining valuable information about “career placement development as a progression, exploring jobs and careers, preparing to apply for jobs, preparing for interviews, [and] accepting and negotiating offers,” Taylor said.
If you are unable to attend, the Lear Center offers similar events and workshops focused on assisting students with their career preparation. Visit http://www.myspartancareer.com for a full list of events.