Maeve Geary, a senior hospitality business student in the Eli Broad College of Business, earned the Statler Foundation Scholarship of Excellence. This is the seventh consecutive year that the Statler Foundation has recognized a Michigan State University student as the recipient.

Maeve Geary

Maeve Geary

The national scholarship is awarded to students enrolled full-time in a hotel management program and planning to pursue a career in hospitality after graduating.

“The most rewarding part about receiving this honor is seeing my hard work pay off,” Geary said. “I am incredibly honored and thankful that I am being recognized for all my academic and extracurricular achievements in The School of Hospitality Business. Being an out-of-state student, tuition is expensive and this will go a long way towards helping me to afford my senior year. This award means so much to me, and I am excited to continue my career in hospitality.”

Geary served as the secretary of MSU’s Club Management Association of America chapter this past year, and she will be the president during the 2018-2019 academic year. Geary was also the director of communications for MSU’s Society for Hospitality Foodservice Management chapter. She is active in The School of Hospitality Business and attends many events for the Hospitality Association as well.

The Statler Foundation originated from the estate of hotelier Ellsworth Statler in 1928, “for research work for the benefit of the hotel industry of the United States, not only in the construction and operations of hotels, but in the training and making more proficient the workers in hotels, for the benefit of the hotel industry as a whole.”