Official announcement at https://msu.edu/emergency/
Michigan State University is suspending classes beginning at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, January 30 at all locations due to anticipated and sustained severe wind chills below -20 degrees F. While online instruction may continue, faculty will not penalize students who do not participate during a university-declared suspension of classes.
All HealthTeam clinics will also be closed.
What triggers cancellations
MSU monitors weather conditions including wind chills and wind speeds. Class cancellations will be triggered with sustained wind chills of -20 degrees F and/or sustained wind speeds of 75 miles per hour.
During this time, it is important to think about winter preparedness on a personal level. Please take a moment to focus on your safety with the following tips.
- Dress warm. Wear layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing.
- Always wear a coat, mittens or gloves and a hat.
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extreme cold.
- Keep an eye out for slippery conditions both indoors and out.
- Carefully plan trips, avoiding long periods of time outdoors.
- If you plan on driving, keep your car fueled, take a charger for your cell phone, and consider packing a small cold weather kit including a blanket, bottled water and a snack.
- Be aware of slippery road conditions; even after crews have been out there may still be patches of ice snow on the roads and sidewalks.
While in campus buildings:
- Keep windows closed; leaving them open, even for short period of time, can damage pipes and heating systems.
- Leave the heat on. It’s OK to dial back the temperature in your space, however shutting off thermostats completely can lead to freezing conditions indoors.
- Report cold conditions and leaks as buildings are susceptible to frozen pipes that may burst and cause indoor flooding.
- If you notice areas of your space are unusually cold or observe water leaks, contact your service center immediately.
Full-time faculty and staff are expected to report to work unless prior arrangement have been made with supervisors.