May 2015 Special Edition
EMBA 50th Anniversary Celebration Honors “Alumni of the Decade”
The Broad Executive MBA celebrated its 50th anniversary May 14 at the Fillmore Detroit. The event also honored the 10 Broad Executive MBA alumni selected as “Alumni of the Decade.” Congratulations to:
- Ken Way (’71), chairman, Lear Corporation, retired
- John (Jack) Withrow (’71), executive vice president, Chrysler Corporation, retired
- Neil DeKoker (’77), founder, president and CEO, Original Equipment Suppliers Association, retired
- Tom Ogden (’80), president, Comerica Bank – Michigan, retired
- Daniel Ponder (’90), CEO, Franco Public Relations Group
- Ambassador Yousif B. Ghafari (’92), founder and chairman, Ghafari Associates LLC
- Lisa Dancsok (’96), vice president, Rock Ventures LLC
- Jim Roberts (’96), CEO, Jim Roberts Enterprises LLC and Jim Roberts – Centennial Securities Advisory Services LLC
- David Dauch (’07), chairman, president and CEO, American Axle & Manufacturing
- Reginald (Reggy) Eadie (’13), MD, CEO, Detroit Medical Center Harper University Hospital, Hutzel Women’s Hospital and Detroit Receiving Hospital
Economist Ranks Broad EMBA Among World’s Top 50
The Economist has released its 2015 ranking of executive MBA programs. The Broad EMBA was ranked No. 46 in the world, or No. 12 among U.S. public universities.
More Than 1,500 Become Alumni at Broad College Spring Commencement
Spring commencement ceremonies recognized 1,063 undergraduate students and 449 graduate students with degrees. Craig Menear (BA Personnel Administration ’79), CEO of Home Depot, spoke at the college’s undergraduate ceremony, and Ashley John (BA Supply Chain Management ’15) served as student speaker. View photos from the undergraduate event on Facebook or YouTube.
Alumnus Endows Insurance Professorship
Alan Kaufman (BA Risk and Insurance ’70) and his wife have established a major endowment within the Broad College to provide academic leadership in insurance. The gift of more than $1 million will establish the Alan J. and Sue E. Kaufman Endowed Professorship in Insurance and Risk Management.
The School Honors Leaders at Annual Gathering
The School of Hospitality Business hosted its Annual Gathering of Leaders award ceremony in Chicago May 18 at the National Restaurant Association Show. Congratulations to the 2015 award recipients:
- Billy Downs (BA ’88), Alumnus of the Year
- Ron Vlasic, Regional Vice President of Hotels, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, Honorary Alumnus of the Year
- Erik Liedholm (BA ’93) and Blair Wills (BA ’02), Emerging Alumni Leaders of the Year
Alumnus Named Businessperson of the Year
Dan Behm (BA Materials and Logistics Management-Purchasing Management ’83), recently retired founder and CEO of Open Systems Technology, received the West Michigan MSU Alumni Club’s Businessperson of the Year Award at MSU Means Business April 30.
Supply Chain MBAs Revamp Habitat ReStore Operations
A team of Full-Time MBA students implemented a new floor plan and supply chain management process for the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. These changes improve the flow of donations and allow Habitat to maintain consistency without heavy training for its volunteers.
Faculty Awarded Grant by U.S. Department of Defense
Crystal Farh, assistant professor of management, and John Hollenbeck, University Distinguished Professor and Eli Broad Professor of Management, were awarded a $276,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Defense through the Office of Naval Research to study gender integration in traditionally male-dominated teams.
Broad Student-Athletes Recognized for Academic Achievement
Two Broad College students earned top awards at the 18th annual Student-Athlete Support Services Spartan Academic Excellence Gala April 13. Fifty other student-athletes from the Broad College were also recognized at the gala for their academic achievements.
Professor Investigates Pension Payout Preferences
A Broad scholar has published a study examining the circumstances under which people will accept partial pension payment. It is the first real-world, nationally representative investigation of the amount of money pensioners are willing to forego for a more immediate payout.
Activate Your Alumni Directory Profile Today—Free of Charge
Get connected today with Spartans around the world in accounting, finance, hospitality business, management, marketing, and supply chain management. Activating your new profile is as easy as 1, 2, 3. Please use the following information when going through the process:
- Enter [personalized] for your name search.
- Select your name from the list shown.
- Enter your Entity ID: [personalized].
Get connected today! Returning users can log in here.