Department: Supply Chain Management
Dr. Carlos Mena is an Assistant Professor in the
Department of Supply Chain Management at Michigan State University. The focus of his research is the impact of
procurement and supply management practices on economic, social and
Prior to joining Michigan State University, Carlos worked at Cranfield University in the UK, where he was responsible for more than ten research projects in supply chain related fields. These projects attracted over $2 million to the University and led to more than 20 refereed publications in journals such as the Journal of Operations Management, the Journal of Supply Chain Management, IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management, and the International Journal of Production Research. Carlos' publications have been awarded the Emerald Literati Outstanding Paper Award (2011), and been finalist for the Harold E. Fearon Best Paper award (2013). He has also published two books titled Leading Procurement Strategy and Delivering Performance in Food Supply Chains.
Carlos has been involved in a wide range of educational programs including undergraduate, MSc, MBA, PhD, and executive education. He has also been responsible for designing a new MSc in Procurement and Supply Chain Management. His educational efforts have earned him the Director's Teaching & Learning Award for Innovation in Teaching, and the Student's Association Teaching Award for the Most Engaging Professor.
Carlos has received Fellowships from the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS), the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT), and the UK Higher Education Academy (HEA). He is also the recipient of visiting appointments from the University of Warwick (UK), Copenhagen Business School (Denmark), the University of North Carolina (USA), and the University of Rome (Italy).
Carlos received his Doctorate degree and MSc in Engineering Business Management from the University of Warwick in the UK. He also holds a BEng in Industrial Engineering from the Iberoamericana University in Mexico.
- Procurement and supply management
- Global sourcing
- Inter-organizational relationships
- Supply chain management
- Finalist for the 2013 Harold E. Fearon Best Paper Award: For the paper “Towards a Theory of Multi-tier Supply Chain Management”, Journal of Supply Chain Management 49(2) 58-77. <br><br>
- Director’s Award for Innovation in Teaching 2013: Cranfield School of Management<br>
- Most Engaging Professor 2013-14: Student Lead Teaching Awards (Cranfield Students' Association) <br>
- Emerald Outstanding Paper Award: F<span>or the paper “The Impact of Global Sourcing on Supply Chain Risk” (2011), <i>Supply Chain Management: An International Journal,</i> 16(2) 67-81.</span> <br>
- Mena, C., Terry, L., Williams, A. & Ellram, L. (2014) “Causes of Waste across Multi-tier Supply Networks: Cases in the UK Food Sector”, International Journal of Production Economics, 152, 144-158.
- Tsinopoulos, C. & Mena, C. “Supply chain integration configurations”, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Forthcoming
- Sandberg, E. & Mena, C. “Exploring strategic strengths and weaknesses of retail purchasing groups”, The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, Forthcoming.
- Hess, T., Andersson, U., Williams, A. and Mena, C. (2015) "The impact of healthier dietary scenarios on the global blue water scarcity footprint of food consumption in the UK", Food Policy, 50, 1-10
- Van Hoek, R., Mena, C. & Gattorna, J. (2014) “Mind the gap – the future of the discipline requires alignment”, Journal of Business Logistics, 35 (1), 44-51.
- Bernon, M. & Mena C. (2013) The Evolution of Customized Executive Education, Supply Chain Management: an International Journal, 18(4), 440 - 453.
D., Mena, C., & Nair, A. (2017) "The
fit between supply chain strategies and practices: A contingency approach and
comparative analysis", IEEE
Transactions In Engineering Management, Forthcoming (Online ISSN: 1558-0040)
- Mena, C., Humphries, A. & Choi, T. (2013) Towards a Theory of Multi-tier Supply Chain Management, Journal
of Supply Chain Management, 49(2) 58-77
- Diaz, A., Mena, C., Garcia-Carbajal, S., & Liechty, M. (2012) The Impact of Supply Chain Design Characteristics on Network Reliability, Supply Chain Management: an International Journal, 17(3), 263-276.
- Ettouzani, Y., Yates, N., & Mena, C. (2012) Causes affecting promotional availability in UK Grocery Retailing, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 42(3), 213 - 243.
- Marucheck, A., Greis, N., Mena, C., & Cai, L. (2011) Product safety and security in the global supply chain: Issues, challenges and research opportunities, Journal of Operations Management, 29(7-8), 707-720.
- Mena, C., Adenso-Diaz, B., & Yurt, O. (2011) The causes of food waste in the supplier–retailer interface: Evidences from the UK and Spain, Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 55(6), 648-658
- Christopher, M., Mena, C., Khan, O., & Yurt, O. (2011) The Impact of Global Sourcing on Supply Chain Risk, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 16(2), 67-81.
- Mena, C., Humphries, A., & Wilding, R. (2009) A comparison of Inter- and Intra-organizational Relationships: Two case studies from the UK food and drinks industry, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 39(9), 762-784
- Whicker, L. Bernon, M. Templar, S., & Mena, C. (2009) Understanding the Relationships between Time and Cost to Improve Supply Chain Performance, International Journal of Production Economics, 121(2), 641-59.
- Johnson, M. & Mena, C. (2008) Supply chain management for servitised products: A multi-industry case study, International Journal of Production Economics, 114, 27-39
- Tatsis, V., Mena, C., Van Wassenhove, L. & Whicker, L. (2006) E-procurement in the Greek Food and Drink Industry: Drivers and Impediments, Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 12, 63-74
- Hansen, C., Mena, C., Skipworth, H. (2017)
“Exploring political risk in offshoring engagements”, International Journal of Production Research, 55(7):
- Saghiri, S., Wilding, R., Mena, C., Bourlakis, M.
(2017) “Toward a three-dimensional framework for omni-channel”, Journal of Business Research, 77:
C., Mena, C., Skipworth, H. & Tavoletti, E. (2016) “Characterizing
agile supply partnerships”, International
Journal of Operations and Production Management, 36(8): 923-947.
- Danloup, N.,
Mirzabeiki, V., Allaoui, H., Goncalves, G., Julien, D. & Mena, C. (2015)
“Reducing transportation greenhouse gas emissions with collaborative
distribution: A case study”, Management
Research Review, 38(10): 1049-1067.
- Mena, C., van Hoek,
R. & Christopher, M. (2018) Leading
Procurement Strategy, 2nd Ed. Kogan Page (forthcoming).
- Tsinopoulos, C. &
Mena, C. (2015) “Supply chain integration configurations”, International Journal of Operations and Production Management,
- Sandberg, E. &
Mena, C. (2015) “Exploring strategic
strengths and weaknesses of retail purchasing groups”, The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research,
- Mena, C., van Hoek, R. & Christopher, M. (2014) Leading Procurement Strategy, Kogan Page.
- Mena, C. and Stevens, G. [Ed] (2010) Delivering Performance in Food Supply Chains, Woodhead Publishing/ Elsevier.
- SCM 371: Procurement & Supply Management