Office: 632 Bogue Street, East Lansing, MI 48824
Dr. Nguyen teaches Brand Insights and Brand Strategy for MBA students and New Product Design for undergraduate students at Eli Broad College of Business. She received her doctorate in marketing from the University of Connecticut and was a 2013 UConn Hall of Fame Award recipient. Her research focuses on Branding Strategies, Social Media Engagement, Returns on Marketing Investments, and Product Innovation. Dr. Nguyen's research won the Best Paper Award of the Brand Management Track twice at the 2012 and 2014 AMA Winter Marketing Educators' Conferences. Her work has been published in the premier Journal of Marketing Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Management Science, and Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis. She also received several Outstanding Scholar and Teaching Awards for her dedication to research and teaching. Prior to her academic career, Dr. Nguyen had ten years of professional experience in the business consulting, investment, and marketing research industries and held increasingly important positions. These positions exposed her to important aspects of business and marketing, for example, developing new products, managing brand portfolios, opening new ventures, and promoting foreign investments to developing countries. She was involved in the two multi-million dollar projects to promote U.S. and German investments in Vietnam and advised hundreds of foreign investors who wanted to invest in Asian countries. In the U.S., she worked at Affinnova Inc., a global marketing technology company. She regularly collaborates with global market research firms, such as Harris Interactive, Millward Brown, and AC Nielsen, in research.
Social Media Engagement
Returns on Marketing Investments
- Best Paper Award: Brand Management Track, 2014 AMA Winter Educators’ Conference
- Best Paper Award: Marketing Communications and Branding Track, 2012 AMA Winter Educators’ Conference
- Doctoral Dissertation Competition Finalist: Institute for the Study of Business Markets, Pennsylvania State University, 2013
- Hall of Fame Award: University of Connecticut, 2013
- ING Global Research Fellowship: 2012
- MBA Faculty Teaching Award: Department of Marketing, Michigan State University, 2014-2015
- Nguyen, Hang, Yufei Zhang, and Roger Calantone (2018), “Brand Portfolio Coherence: Scale Development and Empirical Examination,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 35(1), pp. 60-80. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167811617300812
- Nguyen, Hang, Roger Calantone, and Ranjani Krishnan (forthcoming), "Influence of Social Media Emotional Word of Mouth on Institutional Investors’ Decisions and Firm Value," Management Science.
- Spiggle, Susan, Hang Nguyen, and Mary Caravella (2012), “More than Fit: Brand Extension Authenticity,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 49 (December), pp. 967-983. URL: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2389670
- Nguyen, Hang and Kunter Gunasti (2018), "Original Brands in Competition Against High Quality Copycats," European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 52 (7/8). https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/EJM-08-2017-0536
- Nguyen, Hang and Malika Chaudhuri (2019), “Making New Products Go Viral and Succeed,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 36 (1)https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0167811618300521
- Phan, Hieu, Thuy Simpson, and Hang Nguyen (2017), “Tournament-Based Incentives, Corporate Cash Holdings, and the Value of Cash,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 52(4), pp. 1519-1550. Reprinted on Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets.https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2956003
- Calantone, Roger and Hang Nguyen (2017), “Open Innovation in the Brand Management Context” Handbook of Research in New Product Development, Ed. Peter N. Golder.
- MKT 811: Brand Insights
- MKT 821: Brand Strategy
- MKT 410: Product Innovation and Management
- MKT 420: Product Design and Development