Brian T Pentland
The Main Street Capital Partners Intellectual Capital Endowed Professor, Faculty Director of the Center for Business & Social Analytics
Department: Accounting and Information Systems
Office: 632 Bogue Street
Brian T. Pentland received his PhD in Management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1991 and SB in Mechanical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1981. His publications have appeared in Academy of Management Review, Accounting, Organizations and Society, Administrative Science Quarterly, Management Science, Organization Science, YouTube and elsewhere. He is a recipient of the 2015-16 William J. Beal Outstanding Faculty Award.
Organizational routines; research methods for sequence and process analysis. Visit routines.broad.msu.edu for more information.
- Pentland, B. T., Feldman, M. S., Becker, M. and Liu, P. (2012), "Dynamics of Organizational Routines: A generative Model" Journal of Management Studies, 49(8).
- Miller, K.D., Pentland, B.T. and Choi, S. (2012) "Dynamics of Performing and Remembering Organizational Routines" Journal of Management Studies, 49(8).
- Pentland, B. T. (2011) "The foundation is solid if you know where to look: Comments on Felin and Foss" Journal of Institutional Economics, 7(2), 279-293.
- Pentland, B. T., T. Haerem and D. Hillison (2011) "The (n)ever changing world: Stability and change in organizational routines" Organization Science, 22(6), 1369-1383.
- Pentland, B. T., T. Haerem and D. Hillison. (2010). Comparing Organizational Routines as Recurrent Patterns of Action. Organization Studies. 31: 7. 917-940.
- Lee, J., Wyner, G and Pentland, B. T.. (2008). Constraining the Search Space with Grammar-Based Design. MIS Quarterly. 32: 4. 757-778.
- Pentland, B. T. and Feldman, M. S.. (2008). Designing Routines: On the folly of designing artifacts, while hoping for patterns of action. Information and Organization. 18: 4. 235-250.
- Pentland, B. T. and Feldman, M. S.. (2007). Narrative Networks: Patterns of technology and organization. Organization Science. 18: 5. 781-795.
- Pentland, B. T. and Feldman, M. S.. (2005). Organizational routines as a unit of analysis. Industrial and Corporate Change.
- Pentland, B T. (2003). Conceptualizing and Measuring Variety in Organizational Work Processes. Management Science.
- Feldman, M. S. and Pentland, B. T.. (2003). Reconceptualizing Organizational Routines as a Source of Flexibility and Change. administrative science quarterly.
- Pentland, B T. (2003). Sequential variety in work processes. Organization Science.
- Kwon, P. M. J. Chung, and B. Pentland,. (2002). A Grammar-Based Framework for Integrating Design and Manufacturing. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering.
- Chung, M.J., P. Kwon and B. Pentland. (2002). Making Process Visible: A Grammatical Approach To Managing Design Processes. Journal of Mechanical Design.
- Pentland, B T. (1999). Building process theory with narrative: From description to explanation. Academy of Management Review.
- ACC 824: Governance and Control of Enterprise Systems
- ITM 913: Doctoral Seminar in Design
- WMBA 813: Information Technology Management