Several faculty members from the School of Hospitality Business traveled to The International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (ICHRIE) Annual Summer Conference & Marketplace July 30-August 1 in San Diego. They presented their research, attended the general and educational sessions, and attended the School’s Alumni Association Lifetime Academic Achievement Award breakfast. In addition at the Conference, the School’s international hospitality honor society, Eta Sigma Delta, was named “Chapter of Distinction” for the second year in a row. Dr. Jeff Beck serves as chair of the ICHRIE Scientific Paper Review Committee, and Dr. Ray Schmidgall is a member of the FutureFund Committee.
Following is a listing of the collaborative research that was presented from the School.
- JaeMin Cha (MS ’98), SeungHyun James Kim, Jeff Beck, and Bonnie Knutson: Predictors of Career Success among Lodging Revenue Managers: Investigating roles of proactive work behaviors (stand-up presentation)
- Jeffrey Beck and SeungHyun James Kim, and Raymond Schmidgall: Moral Intensity and Ethical Culture in Hospitality Marketing Management (stand-up presentation)
- Praneet Randhawa (MS ’08, Ph.D. ’14), MiRan Kim, and Ronald F. Cichy (BA Hospitality Business ’72, MBA ’77): Working two sides of the same story: Manager-customer perspectives of service innovations (stand-up presentation)
- SeungHyun James Kim, JaeMin Cha (MS ’98), Arjun Singh, and Chang Huh: Hotel Consumers’ Attitude toward Green Hotels: Effects of health consciousness, environmental attitudes, and perceived benefits of healthy environments (poster presentation)
- MiRan Kim (MS ’05), Lu Zhang, and Ronald F. Cichy (BA Hospitality Business ’72, MBA ’77): The roles of club’s social media and events/activities in social capital and member loyalty in the private club industry (poster presentation)
“The annual ICHRIE Conference is important to us as a faculty,” says Dr. Cha, who is the advisor to the School’s Eta Sigma Delta chapter. “It presents us with an opportunity to share our own research, work with faculty members from other universities, and learn about trends in teaching and research.”
In addition, the Conference allows the School to present its annual Lifetime Academic Achievement Award. This year’s honoree is Dr. Bonnie Knutson, recently named the acting director of the School. Other recent past honorees include Dr. Ray Schmidgall, the Hilton Hotels professor of Hospitality Financial Management in the School; Dr. Reginald F. Foucar-Szocki (BA Hospitality Business ’77), professor in the School of Hospitality, Sport, and Recreation Management at James Madison University; Professor Robert B. Zemke (MBA ’66), professor emeritus in the Culinary Studies Institute at Oakland Community College; Dr. Andy Divine (BA Hospitality Business ’60), professor emeritus of Hotel, Restaurant & Tourism Management at the University of Denver; and Professor George T. Alley (BA Hospitality Business ’59), retired director of the School of Food, Hotel & Resort Management at the Rochester Institute of Technology.