COVID-19 Updates


Questions Specific to Admission Decisions During Academic Information Spring 2020-Summer 2021

These topics are specific to the how grades from Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021 will be used in the admission process.

Application and Decision Process

This information is specific to the Broad College/major admission process for current MSU students.

  • How do I apply for admission to the Broad College?

    Visit the Broad admissions page to learn about the Broad College application criteria and process, and to begin an application. Do not begin an application if you are not actually qualified to apply in this particular semester.

  • How do I apply for my major?

    Visit the Broad admissions page to learn about the Broad Major application criteria and process, and to begin an application. Do not begin an application if you are not actually qualified to apply in this particular semester.

  • I am applying for the second time. Will my previous application content (case study, experiential profile) be used in this semester’s application?

    No. Students must complete and submit a new experiential profile and case study. Scores from previous semesters will not be carried over and used in the current application.

  • I started an application, but I am not planning to apply this semester. Can I cancel my application?

    If you have not yet taken the case study and the application is still open for the semester, log into your application and click the red “Cancel Application” button at the top of the screen.

    If you have taken the case study, and/or the application is closed for the semester, please contact the admissions coordinator at to request the cancellation. Cancellations within one week of the posted decision date may not be possible.

    If your application is cancelled, you will not receive any scores for the Case Study and/or Experiential Profile.

  • Does the application process include:
    • A resume? NO.
    • An interview? NO.
    • Letters of recommendation? NO.
  • How many points are assigned to each part of the Broad College application process?
    • Academic Factors: 118 points possible (see Academic Factor Point Chart)
    • Experiential Profile: 30 points possible
    • Case Study: 24 points possible
    • Total: 172 points possible
  • What is the admission rate?

    The number and percentage of admitted students varies by semester. Admission numbers/rates are impacted by available seats in the college and the size of the applicant pool; these numbers vary by semester. In most semesters, the majority of applicants are admitted. Over the past three years, 43-62 percent of eligible applicants were admitted.

  • If I am denied admission, can I reapply?

    Reapplication is an available option, but you should carefully consider whether this is the best plan for you. Students who are considering reapplying should meet with a Broad academic advisor to discuss their previous application, scores, academic situation and best strategy for a future application. Reapplying is often a sound option, but not always; each student’s situation is unique.

  • If I am denied admission, can I appeal the decision?

    Students can appeal an admission decision until the posted deadline. See the Broad admissions page for appeal process information after decisions are sent out for the current application period.

  • Can I apply for admission in the summer?

    Students with a business-preference major who will reach junior standing (56 credits) for the first time through summer enrollment at MSU and/or another school can apply to the Broad College in the summer.

    Students in other majors (outside the Broad College, Hospitality Business) are not eligible for summer admission.

    There is no “admission to major” process in the summer. Business Admitted majors can apply to a degree-granting major in the fall and spring semesters.

  • Can I apply for admission if I am not enrolled in the current semester?

    Students who have matriculated to MSU in a previous semester, but are not enrolled in the current semester, are eligible to apply for admission in the fall or spring (not summer – see question above). Note that all requirements remain in place – the case study is still required.

    Students who have been admitted to MSU but have not yet begun MSU courses are not eligible for Broad College admission via the current student admission process.

  • I have already been admitted to a degree-granting Broad major. How do I apply for a competitive admission major (ACC or SCM)?

    Students who wish to apply for a competitive admission major (after already being admitted to a Broad major) must fill out a new application. Log into the application system, then choose the major you wish to become as your first choice. Be sure to choose a second-choice major as well. You do not need to complete an experiential profile or case study.

Academic Factors

  • I took both STT 200 and STT 315 (or other approved STT courses). Which course will be used for the College Precore GPA?

    The first chronological non-repeatable grade earned in a precore course will be used in all future applications to calculate the precore GPA (substitute course grades taken later cannot be used).

      • Example: Spring 2020 grade in STT 315 cannot replace Fall 2019 grade in STT 200
  • Why is CSE 102 a required course for admission to the Broad College?

    The requirement for business professionals to have “data literacy” skills has taken on tremendous importance as business analytics have become a component of any business and business process.

    To develop the necessary data literacy and analytical skills, Broad students begin their journey with CSE102 learning python programming.
    They will continue this journey with ITM209 (Excel, Tableau, SQL, etc.) and MKT317 (R coding to run statistics).
    At the 300/400 course level, major assignments and in some cases full courses require the use of these analytical skills and/or are fully focused on building additional tools (e.g. machine learning) to ensure a student graduates with the needed tools to be successful in a student’s desired profession.

  • Can I transfer in CSE 102?

    Per MSU policy, students who have not earned credit in CSE 102 (or received a grade of 0.0, 1.0 or 1.5 at MSU) may earn transfer credit in CSE 102 if a course at another school is approved for transfer as CSE 102. See Transfer MSU for currently approved equivalencies. To request an evaluation of a new course for potential transfer as CSE 102, please contact the Department of Computer Science and Engineering.

  • I took a class at another school in a previous semester. How can I make sure it is considered as part of my application?

    Transfer courses from prior semesters must be reflected as “accepted credit” on a student’s MSU academic record by August 23, 2021. Unofficial documentation (such as is accepted for current semester dual-enrolled courses, see next question) will NOT be accepted. Students are responsible for making sure that official transcripts from other schools arrive at MSU and are added to their academic record in the months between the course end date and the current semester deadline.

  • I’m taking a class at another school this semester. How can I make sure it is considered as part of my application?

    To make sure your transfer course is considered in this semester’s admission decision, complete the following steps:

    1. Declare this course as part of your Broad application (there is a place in the application for you to disclose this information).
    2. Submit an unofficial transcript or a screenshot of your grade report (must include your name, the course code, name of school and the grade) via email to the Broad undergraduate admissions coordinator, by 8:00 p.m., August 24, 2021. The grade report must be a final grade officially posted by that school (similar to MSU’s STUINFO grade report, not a D2L-type report). Information not submitted by the deadline will not be considered in the Summer 2021 admission decision; you may apply again in the next application period. Late submission of this information will not be considered a valid reason to appeal an admission denial/ineligible decision.
    3. Work with that school to have an official transcript sent to the MSU Office of Admissions as soon as possible (the admissions coordinator will follow up a few weeks into the next semester to make sure all transcripts have been received). Do not have official transcripts sent to any other location, including the Broad College. Official transcripts should be mailed to:

    Office of Admissions
    Michigan State University
    Hannah Administration Building
    426 Auditorium Rd Rm 250
    East Lansing, MI 48824

  • I received AP/IB/CLEP credit. How will this be used for admission?

    Credit in College Precore Courses earned via AP/IB/CLEP will translate into GPA equivalencies for the College Precore GPA only (this will not impact the Cumulative GPA or Major Precore GPA). See the conversion chart in the Admission Information Session Presentation Slides for exact score-to-GPA information.

  • I took some College Precore courses at another institution, and some at MSU. How will my College Precore GPA be calculated?

    If only one College Precore Course is completed at MSU, transfer grades will be reviewed.

    If two or more College Precore Courses are completed at MSU, only MSU grades are used.

    • Example: If STT 200 and WRA 101 are completed in transfer, and EC 201 and EC 202 are completed at MSU, the EC 201 and 202 grades will constitute the entire College Precore GPA.
  • I took all my College Precore courses at another institution. How will my College Precore GPA be calculated?

    Transfer equivalent grades are based on the first chronological course completed that resulted in transferable credit (2.0/C grade).

    Example: STT 200 from Macomb Community College was completed twice – Fall 2013 grade: C; Spring 2014 grade: B. Since the Fall 2013 grade allows transferable credit, that is the grade that will be used.

    The original course credit amount is used (example: if a course that transfers as STT 200 – a 3-credit course – to MSU, but is a 4-credit course at that school, the full 4 credits are calculated in the GPA).

    When using transfer grades from institutions that give individual course grades as letter grades (“C” instead of “2.0”), we apply that institution’s grade equivalencies (usually found on the back of the transcript and on that institution’s website).

    Example Transfer College Precore GPA:

    • Writing: ENG 1020 4 credits (Wayne State University) B (3.0 per WSU’s grade conversion)
    • Statistics: STT 210 4 credits (Macomb CC) A- (3.7 per MCC’s grade conversion)
    • Economics: ECON 201 4 credits (Macomb CC) C (2.0 per MCC’s grade conversion)
    • College Precore GPA: 2.9.
  • I earned a low grade in a MSU course, and am repeating it this semester. Which grade will be used in my GPA for admission?

    To repeat a course, you must have earned a “repeatable grade” (0.0, 1.0, 1.5) in the original attempt.

    If you are repeating the course at MSU, the grade you earn this semester will be used. Note: the most recent grade is used, whether or not it is the higher grade.

    If you are repeating the course at another institution, the transfer credit will remove the MSU grade from your cumulative (and College Precore, if applicable) GPA calculation. The original grade will not be replaced by the grade earned at the other school in your cumulative GPA calculation. You must earn a 2.0/C grade at the other school for MSU to accept the transfer credit/course.

Experiential Profile

Case Study

  • What is the Case Study?

    See our Admission Criteria for an explanation of the non-academic admission factors. Students are encouraged to attend an admission information session during the semester they apply to learn more about the application factors and process. See Admissions Information Sessions for current semester sessions.

  • I have conflicts with all the Case Study times. Can I request a different time?

    Approval for an alternate Case Study time will be granted if you have an academic course conflict with the regularly scheduled case study, or a varsity or club (not intramural) athletic travel/competition conflict. Requests must be sent to at least 10 days prior to the regularly scheduled Case Study; documentation of the conflict is required. Alternate Case Studies will not be approved if there are open sessions that do not conflict with class/athletic times.

  • Can I take the Case Study on a different date?

    Approval for a make-up Case Study will be granted if you have an academic course conflict with the regularly scheduled case study, or a varsity or club (not intramural) athletic travel/competition conflict. Requests for a make-up must be sent to at least 10 days prior to the regularly scheduled Case Study; documentation of the conflict is required. Make-ups will not be available for students who miss the Case Study for any other reason, unless they can produce official documentation of a medical/family emergency.

  • I missed my scheduled Case Study. Can I take it on another date?

    If a future time/date session has available seats, students can self-register. If no seats are available, and students have a documented reason (medical/family emergency) for missing the Case Study without prior notification, that documentation must be sent to no later than two business days after the originally scheduled Case Study. Requests for a make-up Case Study will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, but will not be considered without official documentation (doctor’s note, etc). Forgetting, oversleeping or incorrectly noting the case study date/time in your planner are not reasons that will result in approval of a make-up Case Study.

  • I am registered with the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (RCPD). How can I request accommodations for the Case Study?

    Start an application for admission and register for a Case Study session. Submit a copy of your RCPD VISA to Melanie Wallace, Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions ( via your MSU email account or using the “Special Accommodation Request” option in the Issue/Question menu. This is required, as the VISA details the necessary accommodations. You will be contacted prior to the Case Study date to confirm appropriate arrangements. You must submit your VISA at least 10 days prior to the Case Study date.

  • I did not complete the Case Study. Will my application still be considered for admission to the Broad College?

    All parts of the application (precore courses, required credits, Experiential Profile, Case Study) must be completed to be considered for admission. Students who do not complete all required elements will be deemed ineligible for admission and should plan to apply in a future semester.

Personal Statement