skip to main content

Remote Start


Information for current and prospective Broad students/parents

Given the current status of the novel coronavirus, nearly all undergraduate students who planned to live in residence halls this fall are continuing their education with MSU remotely. MSU has transitioned all undergraduate in-person or hybrid classes and some graduate classes to a remote format. Safety continues to be our top priority, and we are working hard to support an engaged and connected experience for all Spartans wherever they are.

The Together We Will website provides the latest MSU information and resources. Success will take all of us working together.
Together We Will

Frequently Asked Questions

COVID-19 Support

  • What should I do if I test positive for COVID-19?

    Any member of our community exhibiting signs of COVID-19 must seek immediate medical attention. If you are feeling ill or have tested positive for COVID-19 and have questions, contact MSU’s COVID-19 Triage Hotline at 855-958-2678 or your primary health care provider.

    If you are ill or test positive, you should self-isolate and avoid close contact with others. For students who live on campus, space for isolation will be provided. More information on what to do if you feel sick can be found on the CDC website. For complete information on testing, please visit MSU’s Testing and Reporting page.

Academic Support

  • How can I meet with a Broad academic advisor?

    Broad academic advisors will be available for scheduled appointments that may be conducted via phone or Zoom. Students may also contact advisors via email (individual advisor email or and may call the office during designated “drop-in” advising times. For more information, please visit our Undergraduate Advising page.

  • Where can I find more information about the S/NS grading option?

    All eligible Michigan State University students may request to have their grades recorded in a binary grading system of Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory (S/NS) for each eligible course in which they are enrolled during the Spring 2020, Fall 2020, and the Spring 2021 semester. For more information about the S/NS grading option, please visit the Grading Options FAQ page.

  • How will the S/NS grading option impact my application to the Broad College?

    The Broad College will use original numeric grades from Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 to calculate cumulative and College/Major Precore GPAs in admission decisions. For more information, please visit the Admissions FAQ page.

  • Where can I get information on the credit/no credit option?

    The credit-no credit system is intended to allow students to study in areas outside the major field of study without jeopardizing their grade-point averages. In the credit-no credit system the following symbols are used. For more information on the credit-no credit system, please visit the academic programs page.

    Broad students must enroll in all courses for a numerical grade. Enrollment on the Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) basis is limited to: (1) electives taken outside the Broad College and (2) a maximum of one course per semester.

    If you enroll for Broad College courses on the CR/NC basis, the Director of Undergraduate Academic Services will take the necessary administrative action, either at the beginning of the semester or after final grades have been reported, to change the grade from the CR/NC basis to the numerical system.

  • Where can I find academic support?

    The Broad College of Business offers several free support services that are available to all students. For complete information, please visit our academic support services page.

  • Where can I find semester dates and deadlines?

    You can find information about MSU’s critical dates on the academic calendar on the Office of the Registrar’s page. Click here for a complete list of important dates for the academic year.

  • I am thinking about taking a semester off, where do I go for support?

    If you are thinking of taking a semester off, we would encourage you to reach out to one of the academic advisors in the Broad College. Broad academic advisors will be available for scheduled appointments that may be conducted via phone or Zoom. Students may also contact advisors via email (individual advisor email or and may call the office during designated “drop-in” advising times. For more information, please visit our Undergraduate Advising page.

  • How do I transfer credits to MSU?

    Broad students should look to start the course transfer process with a Broad academic advisor. It is important that you read the transfer course policy and request process for a complete explanation of the Broad College transfer course policy. For more information, please visit our Transfer Course Policy page.

  • How can I change my major?

    You should always start the major change process by meeting with the academic advisor associated with the degree path you are hoping to follow. Major changes into or out of business preference for students below 56 credits can be requested in person with a Broad academic advisor, or online (a meeting with a Broad academic advisor may be required in order to complete an online major change request). For complete information about our major change process, please visit our Major Changes page.

  • Where can I find polices that pertain to me as an undergraduate student?

    It is important that you are aware of academic policies that impact you as a Broad College student. You can review all Broad College polices here.

  • How can I request an incomplete in one or more of my courses?

    An incomplete “I” is a temporary grade which may be given at the instructor’s discretion to a student when illness, necessary absence, or other reasons beyond the control of the student prevent completion of course requirements by the end of the academic semester. If you are in a position where you are struggling academically, please start by reaching out to a Broad College advisor to discuss your situation. For more information about the incomplete grade policy, please visit Academic Programs page.

  • Where can I go to find support for academic integrity concerns that impact me as a MSU student?

    You should always start this conversation with your Broad academic advisor. Your advisor should make you aware of all your resources as it pertains to your specific situation. If you end up in a position where you feel that you may need additional support navigating university policies and procedures you have the option of meeting with the University Ombudsperson or the Dean of Students Office.

  • How can I access the MSU library system?

    If you are looking to utilize the MSU libraries you can access them remotely here.

Career Management

  • Where can I go if I need assistance with my resume, internship, or job search?

    The career advisors at the Russell Palmer Career Management Center provide individualized and progressive career support and targeted resources to MSU undergraduate students preparing for careers in business.

    Although on-campus, in-person company events have been canceled, the Palmer Career Management Center has encouraged companies to conduct virtual interviews and webinars to replace on-campus activities. Many companies have opted to do this, especially due to their own organization’s travel restrictions and policies during this time. Students may continue to schedule career advising appointments with the Palmer Career Management Center for career search assistance; all appointments will be held virtually. Handshake, MSU’s recruiting platform, has live postings for full-time jobs and internships; students may continue to apply to positions via that site.

Counseling and Mental Health Support

  • Where can I find counseling and mental health support?

    Counseling & Psychiatric Services (CAPS) is the place on campus for students seeking help for a wide range of concerns, including depression, anxiety, stress management, homesickness, adjustment or acculturation, relationships, issues around race, gender and sexual orientation (LGBTQ), substance abuse, traumatic experiences, eating or body image concerns, and other personal mental health concerns. CAPS combines the clinical services of counseling and psychiatry in one setting. For more information about services provided by CAPS, please visit their website.

  • Where can I find support for stress relief?

    Coloring can reduce the thoughts of a restless mind. Check out these MSU and Lansing themed pages that you can use to relieve stress.

Financial Support & Resources

Housing Resources

International Student Resources

Prospective Student Resources

Remote Learning Support & Resources

Student Engagement Opportunities

Are there additional resources that you would like to see added to this page?
If so please let us know by adding your comment here.