By Caroline Brooks
Summer 2017 internships mirrored the reputation of the college’s academic programs and the diverse student body, ranging from finance, supply chain, and data analyst roles at companies like Cisco and GM; international product planning at Jeep; and learning the ins and outs of tax policy and accounting at Deloitte, Plante Moran, EY, and others.
Beginning with their sophomore year, the college encourages admitted students to pursue internships that will put their curriculum to work, sharpen their skillsets, hone specific areas of interest, and begin developing a network for full-time opportunities.
Visit the Intern Spotlight Series page on the Career Services site to see where Broad interns spent their summers, and see below for some highlights:
- Donald W. Petty II (FTMBA ’18), intern at GE: “If you fail, fail fast. Learn from your mistakes, pivot, and develop a great product/solution for your customers.”
- Katlynn Roden (BA Human Resource Management ’18), intern at Herman Miller: “The biggest piece of advice I was given was from Herman Miller’s CEO: to always be curious and to get engaged in things at work that you want to learn more about. Gaining a wide range of experiences in the workplace is very valuable.”
- Mora Moxuanzi Li (MS Accounting ’18), intern at Deloitte: My favorite experience was to build networks with professionals who were able to assist with my performance management. Having an opportunity to work with clients from different industries also helped me leverage my strengths.”
- Kevin Wenner (BA Finance ’18), intern at GM: “I have learned about the different components that go into developing an attainable, yet challenging forecast as well as the importance of cross-functional communication.”
- Aleigha Carter (BA Hospitality Business ’18), intern at Walt Disney World: “The most valuable lesson I have learned with this experience is how powerful feedback and accountability can be. It helped me gain the confidence to act in my role, even being the new manager.”
- William Reppen (MS Business Analytics ’17), intern at Stryker: “My favorite internship experience thus far, aside from meeting a ton of really great people, is having been placed in charge of the pilot of a new predictive analytics platform to be used in serving the entire Stryker legal space globally.”
- Marisa Jonna (MS Marketing Research ’18), intern at Ducker Worldwide: “The most valuable lesson I have learned in my internship thus far is the ability to understand my clients’ clients. It is critical to the B2B marketing research process to understand not only what your direct client wants, but what their direct client wants, as well.”
- Kayla Nguyen (BA Supply Chain Management ’20), intern at Ingersoll Rand-Trane: “I have learned that it’s okay not to know the answer to everything right away! What’s more important is the ability to adapt and continually ask questions.”