Professor, Faculty Director of the Financial Markets Institute
Office: 321 Eppley Center
Andrei Simonov is Professor of Finance at Michigan State University, a CEPR Research Affiliate in the Financial Economics program, Scientific Director of Research Center for Empirical Finance at Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy (Moscow, Russia), J. P. Morgan Visiting Professor of Finance at New Economic School, and a Research Associate in Stockholm International Corporate Governance Institute. He received Ph.D. in Finance from European Institute of Business Administration ( INSEAD, 2000). He also holds Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Moscow State University. His research interests include asset pricing, individual portfolio decision and behavioral finance. Andrei is recipient of several grants and awards. He was awarded EFA/LECG Prize for best paper in Behavioral Finance, Iddo Sarnat Memorial Award and was one of the winners of BSI Gamma Foundation Research Competition. His work is regularly presented at leading finance conferences including American Economic Association, American Finance Association, Western Finance Association, European Finance Association, CEPR and NBER meetings. His publications appear in leading Finance and Management journals including, among others, Journal of Finance, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Finance, and Management Science. His research has been covered extensively in the popular press, including, among others, The Wall Street Journal, The Times of London, Atlantic Monthly, The Guardian, Globe and Mail, and Dow Jones Market Watch. He serves on Editorial Boards of Management Science, Financial Management, Journal of Empirical Finance, and Russian Economic Journal. At MSU, he is Academic Director of Financial Markets Institute.
Asset pricing, individual portfolio decision and behavioral finance. Currently, his main area of research is on the effects of behavioral biases, corporate governance, and social interactions on individuals' portfolio decisions and market participation
- Professor of the year (): voted by New Economics School Master in Finance students
- Grant of FDIC Center for Financial Research: $10,000 for "On the Real Effects of Bank Bailouts: Micro-Evidence from Japan" (joint with M. Giannetti), American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, vol. 5-1 (2013), pp. 135-167.
- Grant of Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Fund: SEK 1,850,000 for "Investment Banks as Insiders and the Market for Corporate Control" (with Andriy Bodnaruk and Massimo Massa), Review of Financial Studies, vol. 22-12 (2009), pp. 4989-5026.
- Grant of Jan Wallanders and Tom Hedelius Foundation (SEK 2.6 mln): SEK 2,600,000 for "Do Small Shareholders Count?" (joint with M. Massa and E. Kandel), JFE, vol. 101(2011), pp. 641-665 and "Is College a Focal Point of Investor Life?" (with M. Massa), RoF vol.15 (2011), pp. 757-797
- 2006 EFA/LECG Prize for Best Paper in Behavioral Finance: Prize ($5000) was awarded for best paper in Behavioral Finance presented at EFA Meeting.
- 2005 Iddo Sarnat Award: Best paper published in JBF in 2006
- "Loss Averse Preferences, Performance, and Career Success of Institutional Investors" (joint with Andriy Bodnaruk), Review of Financial Studies, accepted (2016).
- “Captive Finance and Firm’s Competitiveness” (joint with Andriy Bodnaruk and William O’Brien), Journal of Corporate Finance, vol. 37 (2016), pp. 210-228.
- “Do Financial Experts Make Better Investment Decisions?” (joint with Andriy Bodnaruk), Journal of Financial Intermediation, vol. 24 (2015), pp. 514-536. DOI information: 10.1016/j.jfi.2014.09.001
- “Style representation and portfolio choice” (joint with Massimo Massa and Anders Stekhona), Journal of Financial Markets, vol 23 (2015), pp. 1-25.
- "On the Real Effects of Bank Bailouts: Micro-Evidence from Japan" (joint with M. Giannetti), American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, vol. 5-1 (2013), pp. 135-167.
- "Alliances and Corporate Governance" (joint with Andriy Bodnaruk and Massimo Massa), Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 107-3 (2013), pp. 671-693.
- "Do Small Shareholders Count?" (joint with M. Massa and E. Kandel), Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 101(2011), pp. 641-665.
- "Is College a Focal Point of Investor Life?" (with M. Massa), Review of Finance vol.15 (2011), pp. 757-797 doi:10.1093/rof/rfr009.
- "Investment Banks as Insiders and the Market for Corporate Control" (with Andriy Bodnaruk and Massimo Massa), Review of Financial Studies, vol. 22-12 (2009), pp. 4989-5026.
- "Social Interactions and Entrepreneurial Activity" (old title "Does Prestige Matter More Than Profits? Evidences from Entrepreneurial Choice", joint with M. Giannetti), Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, vol. 18-3 (2009), pp. 665-709.
- "Strategic Experimentation in Financial Markets" (joint with M. Massa), Management Science vol. 55-8 (2009), pp.1377-1390.
- "Shareholder Diversification and the Decision to Go Public" (joint with A. Bodnaruk, E. Kandel, M. Massa), Review of Financial Studies, vol 21-6 (2008), pp. 2779-2824.
- "Hedging, Familiarity and Portfolio Choice" (joint with M. Massa), Review of Financial Studies, vol. 19 (2006), pp. 633-686.
- "Which Investors Fear Expropriation? Evidence from Investors' Portfolio Choices" (joint with M. Giannetti), Journal of Finance, vol. 61-3 (2006), pp. 1507-1547.
- "Is Learning a Dimension of Risk?" (joint with M. Massa), Journal of Banking and Finance, vol. 29 (2005), pp. 2605-2632. (Winner of 2006 Iddo Sarnat Award)
- "Behavioral Biases and Investment" (joint with M. Massa), Review of Finance, vol. 9 (2005), pp. 483-507.
- "On the Determinants of Entrepreneurial Activity: Individual Characteristic, Economic Environment, and Social Norms"(joint with M. Giannetti), Swedish Economic Policy Review, vol. 11 (2004), pp. 269-313.
- "Reputation and Dealers' Trading: a microstructure analysis of the Treasury Bond market" (joint with M. Massa), Journal of Financial Markets, vol. 6 (2003), pp. 99-141.
- “Delisting of mutual Funds in Russia” (with E. Inozemtsev and A. Goriaev), HSE Economic Journal, (2016)
- “Fund delisting within the mutual funds family” (with E. Inozemtsev) HSE Economic Journal (2016)
- "Stock Market Participation and Pension Reform" (joint with A. Karlsson and M. Massa), "Transitioning to Retirement: How Will Boomers Fare?" edited by Olivia S. Mitchell, Beth J. Soldo and Brigitte Madrian, Oxford University Press, 2007 (refereed volume).
- FI 473: Debt and Money Markets
- FI 853: Debt, Money Instrmnts & Mkts
- FI 854: Fixed Income Instruments
- Scientific Director, Center for Empirical Finance, Gaidar IET, Moscow, Russia: Organized and directed research at the new center.
- Center for Economic Policy Research, Research Affiliate : London, UK
- Associate Editor, Journal of Empirical Finance: Journal of Empirical Finance
- Associate Editor: Management Science
- Founding co-Editor: Russian Economic Journal
- Associate Editor: Financial Management