Robert M. Wiseman
Senior Associate Dean
Department: Dean's Office
The Eli Broad Legacy Fellow, Professor
Office: N520 Business College Complex
Professor Wiseman is Senior Associate Dean, Eli Broad Legacy
Fellow of Management, and professor of management. Prof. Wiseman earned his PhD
in strategic management from the University of Minnesota (1992) and an MBA from
the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee. Before joining Michigan State
University, he was an assistant professor at Arizona State University. His
research on strategic risk taking and executive compensation has been published
in the Academy of Management Journal,
the Academy of Management Review, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, the Journal of Management, the Journal of Management Studies, the Journal of Organizational Behavior, and
the Journal of Economic Behavior and
Organizations. He has served on the editorial boards of the Academy of Management Journal and the Journal of High Technology Management
Research, and he has won several distinguished reviewer awards from the
Academy of Management.
Strategic risk and decision making; executive compensation and corporate governance.
- Lim, E., Lubatkin, M.H., Wiseman, R.M.. (2010 September). A family firm variant of the behavioral agency theory. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal. 4: 3. 197-211.
- Devers, C.E., McNamara, G., Wiseman, R.M., Arrfelt, M.. (2008). Moving closwer to the action: Examining compensation design effects on firm risk. Organization Science. 19: 4. 548-566.
- Larraza-kintana, M., Wiseman, R.M. Gomez-Mejia, L.R., Welbourne, T.. (2007). Distinguishing between employment and compensation risk influences on perceived risk taking. Strategic Management Journal. 28: 10. 1001-1020.
- Gomez-Mejia, L.R., Wiseman, R.M. (2007). Does agency theory have universal relevance: A reply to Lubatkin, Lane, Collin and Very. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 28: 1. 81-88.
- Devers, C., Wiseman, R.M. & Holmes, R.M.. (2007). The Effects of Endowment and Loss Aversion in Managerial Stock Option Valuation. Academy of Management Journal. 50: 1. 191-208.
- Tortella, BD, Gomez-Mejia, LR, DeCastro, JO, Wiseman, RM. (2005). Agency problems in diverse contexts: a global perspective. Management Research. 3: 1. 109-120.
- Gomez-Mejia, L.R., Wiseman, R.M., Johnson, B.D.. (2005). Agency problems in diverse contexts: A global perspective. Journal of Management Studies. 42. 1507-1517.
- Tortella, B. D., Gomez-Mejia, L. R., De Castro, J. O. & Wiseman, R. M. (2005). Incentive alignment or perverse incentives? A behavioral view of stock options. Management Research. 3. 109-120.
- Chatterjee, S., Wiseman, R. M., Feigenbaum, A. & Devers, C. (2003). Integrating the behavioral and economic concepts of risk into strategic management: The twain shall meet.. Long Range Planning. 36. 61-80.
- Miller, J.S., Wiseman, R.M. Gomez-Mejia, LR. (2002). the fit between CEO compensation design and firm risk. Academy of Management Journal. 45: 4. 745-756.
- Miller, JS, Wiseman, RM. (2001). Perceptions of executive pay: does pay enhance a leader"™s aura?. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 22. 703-711.
- Deephouse, DL, Wiseman, RM. (2000). Comparing alternative explanations for corporate risk-return relations. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organizations. 42. 463-482.
- Gomez-Mejia, LR, Welbourne, T, Wiseman, RM. (2000). The role of risk sharing and risk taking under gainsharing. Academy of Management Review. 25: 3. 492-507.
- Palmer, T, Wiseman, RM. (1999). Decoupling risk taking from income stream uncertainty: A holistic approach. Strategic Management Journal. 20. 1037-1062.
- Wiseman, RM and Skilton, P. (1999). Divisions and differences: Exploring publication preferences and productivity across management subfields. Journal of Management Inquiry. 8. 299-320.
- Wiseman, RM, & Gomez-Mejia, LR. (1998). A behavioral agency model of managerial risk taking. Academy of Management Journal. 23: 1. 133-153.
- Wiseman, RM, Catanach Jr., AH. (1997). A longitudinal disaggregation of operational risk under changing regulatory conditions. Academy of Management Journal. 49: 4. 799-830.
- Gomez-Mejia, LR and Wiseman, RM. (1997). Reframing executive compensation: an assessment and outook. Journal of Management. 23. 291-375.
- Gooding, RZ, Goel, S, and Wiseman, RM. (1996). Fixed versus variable reference points in the risk-return relation. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organizations. 29: 2. 331-350.
- Wiseman, RM, & Bromiley, P. (1996). Toward a model of risk-taking by declining organizations. Organization Science. 7: 5. 524-543.
- Wiseman, RM, & Bromiley, P. (1991). Risk return associations: Paradox or artifact? An empirically tested explanation. Strategic Management Journal. 12. 231-241.
- Cuevas-Rodriquez, G., Gomez-Mejia, L.R., and Wiseman, R.M. (2012). Has agency theory run its course?: Making the theory more flexible to inform the management of reward systems. Corporate Governance an International Review, 20(6): 526-546.
- Martin, G.P., Gomez-Mejia, L.R. & Wiseman, R.M. (2013). Executive stock options as mixed gambles: Re-visiting the behavioral agency model. Academy of Management Journal, 56(2): 451-472.
- Arrfelt, M., Wiseman, R.M., Hult, T. (2013). Looking backward instead of forward: Aspiration-driven influences on the efficiency of the capital allocation process. Academy of Management Journal 56(4): 1081-1103.
- Arrfelt, M., Wiseman, R.M., McNamara, G. Hult, G. T. M. (2015). Examining a key corporate role: the influence of capital allocation competency on business unit performance. Strategic Management Journal, 36: 1017-1034.
- Kolev, K., Wiseman, R.M., Gomez-Mejia, L.R. (in press). Do CEOs ever lose? Fairness perspective on the allocation of residuals between CEOs and shareholders. Journal of Management ,
- Martin, G.P., Wiseman, R.M., Gomez-Mejia, L.R. (in press). Bridging Finance and Behavioral Scholarship on Agent Risk Sharing and Risk Taking. Academy of Management Perspectives
- Martin, G.P., Wiseman, R.M., Gomez-Mejia, L.R. (forthcoming). Going short-term or long-term? CEO Stock options and temporal orientation in the presence of slack. Strategic Management Journal.
- Wiseman, R.M., Cuevas-Rodriquez, G., and Gomez-Mejia, L.R. (2012). Towards a social theory of agency. Journal of Management Studies,49(1): 202-222.
- Busenbarck, J. Wiseman, R.M., Arrfelt, M. & Woo, H-S. (in press). A review of internal capital allocation literature: Where is the strategy? Journal of Management
- Martin, G.P., Wiseman, R.M., Gomez-Mejia, L.R (in press). The interactive effects of monitoring and incentive alignment on agency costs. Journal of Management.
- Larraza-Kintana, M. Gomez-Mejia, L.R., Wiseman, R.M. (2011). Compensation framing and the risk-taking behavior of the CEO: Testing the influence of alternative reference points. Management Research, 9(1): 32-55. 2012 Outstanding Paper Award Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence
- MGT 409: Strategic Management
- WMBA 802: WMBA Case Competition
- WMBA 804: Strategic Vision
- WMBA 855: Strategic Management