Department: Supply Chain Management
Anand Nair is a Professor in the Department of Supply Chain Management
at the Eli Broad College of Business, Michigan State University. As a part of
his research, he examines the ways in which manufacturing and service firms
can manage complexity, risk, and relationships inherent in operational, supply
chain, and innovation activities so as to improve cost, quality, delivery,
flexibility, innovation and sustainability performance. He investigates how
manufacturing and service firms can manage supply and innovation networks by
strengthening end-to-end visibility and fostering adaptive strategic and
operational behaviors. His research and teaching endeavors also consider how
manufacturing and service firms can effectively manage their capacity &
inventories, and create appropriate relationships with supply and distribution
partners so as to reduce cost and improve customer service. His research
articles have been published in leading operations and supply chain management
journals. Anand teaches operations and supply chain management to MBA,
undergraduate, and doctoral students. He
holds the Certified Fellow in Production
and Inventory Management (CFPIM) designation from APICS and the Certified
Quality Engineer (CQE) designation from ASQ - The American Society of
Quality. He serves on the editorial boards of various journals and is currently
serving as a Department Editor for the Journal
of Operations Management and an Associate Editor for Decision
- Administrative Innovation - Quality Management, JIT, Lean, Supply Chain Integration
- Networks - Inter-Organizational Supply Networks and Interpersonal Social Networks
- Healthcare Management
- Strategy - Link between Business and Operations Strategy
- Technological Innovation "“ Supply Chain Technologies, Innovation Strategy
- Complex Adaptive Systems
- Swamidass P. and Nair A. 2004. What Top Management Thinks about the Benefits of Hard and Soft Manufacturing Technologies. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 51, No. 4: pp. 462-471.
- Closs, D., Swink, M. and Nair, A. 2005. The Role of Information Connectivity in Making Flexible Logistics Programs Successful. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, Vol. 35, No. 4: pp. 258-277.
- Sankar, C. S., Raju, P.K. and Nair, A., Patton, D., and Bliedung, N. 2005. Enterprise Information Systems and Engineering Design at Briggs and Stratton: K11 Engine Development. Journal of Information Technology Cases and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 5: pp. 21-40.
- Nair A. 2005. Emerging Internet-Enabled Mechanisms in Supply Chain. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 10, No. 3/4: pp. 162-168.
- Nair A. 2005. Linking manufacturing postponement, centralized distribution and value chain flexibility with supply chain performance. International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 43, No. 3: pp. 447-463.
- Narasimhan R. and Nair A. 2005. The Antecedent Role of Quality, Information Sharing and Supply Chain Proximity on Strategic Alliance Formation and Performance. International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 96, No. 3: pp. 301-313.
- Talluri, S., Narasimhan R. and Nair A. 2005. Vendor evaluation with supply risk: A chance-constrained DEA model. International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 100, No. 2: pp. 212-222.
- Nair, A. and Closs, D. 2006. An examination of the impact of coordinating supply chain policies and price markdowns on short lifecycle product retail performance. International Journal of Production Economics, 102(2): pp. 379-392.
- Nair, A. and Narasimhan, R. 2006. Competing with Quality and Advertising Based Goodwill. European Journal of Operational Research, 175(1), 462-474.
- Nair, A. 2006. Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Quality Management Practices and Firm Performance: Implications for Quality Management Theory Development. Journal of Operations Management, 24, 948-975.
- Swink, M. and Nair, A. 2007. Capturing the competitive advantage of AMT: Design-Manufacturing integration as a complementary asset. Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 25 (3): 736-754.
- Nair, A., Sankar, C. S., Bliedung, N., and Raju, P. K. 2007. New product development at Yuquiyu Motors: design and development of Y11 engine. International Journal of Information and Operations Management Education, 2(1), 58-72.
- Nair, A. and Swink, M. 2007. Linking internal process technology development and the use of AMT with manufacturing plant capabilities: An examination of complementarities and redundancies. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 54, Iss. 4, 742-755.
- Nair, A., Hanvanich, S. and Cavusgil, T. 2007. An exploration of the patterns underlying related and unrelated collaborative ventures using neural network: Empirical investigation of collaborative venture formation in data spanning 1985-2001. International Business Review, Vol. 16, Iss. 6, 659-686.
- Pathak, S., Day, J. M., Nair, A., Sawaya, W., and Kristal, M. 2007. Complexity and Adaptivity in Supply Networks: Building Supply Network Theory Using a Complex Adaptive Systems Perspective. Decision Sciences Journal, Vol. 38, Iss. 4., 547-580.
- Nair, A. and Boulton, W. R. 2008. Innovation Oriented Operations Strategy Typology and Stage-based Model. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 28, Iss. 8, 748-771.
- Nair, A. and Prajogo, D. 2009. Internalization of ISO 9000 Standards: The Antecedent Role of Functionalist and Institutionalist Drivers and Performance Implications. International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 41, No. 16, 4545-4568.
- Narasimhan, R., Nair, A., Griffith, D., Arlbjorn, J., Bendoly, E. 2009. Lock-in situations in supply chains: Social exchange theoretic study of sourcing arrangements in power-based buyer-supplier relationship. Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 27, No. 5, 374-389.
- Nair, A., Narasimhan, R., Choi, T. 2009. Supply Networks as a Complex Adaptive System: Toward Simulation-Based Theory Building on Evolutionary Decision Making. Decision Sciences, 40(4), 783-815.
- Nair, A., Jones-Farmer, A. and Swamidass, P. 2010. Modeling the reciprocal and longitudinal effect of Return on Sales and R&D intensity during economic cycles: 1997-2003 emerges as an R&D-propelled cycle. International Journal of Technology Management, (Special Issue on Technology Policy vs. Industrial Policy: A Comparison of Overlapping and Competing Approaches to R&D), 49(1/2/3), 2-24.
- Mackelprang, A. and Nair, A. 2010. Relationship between Just-in-Time Manufacturing Practices and Performance: A Meta-Analytic Investigation. Journal of Operations Management, 28, 283-302.
- Das, A. and Nair, A. 2010. The use of manufacturing technologies - An external influence perspective. International Journal of Production Research, 48(17), 4977-5006.
- Garcia, R., Nair, A., Rummel, P. 2011. Specialization in exploration and exploitation: A systems approach. International Journal of Business and Systems Research, 5(1), 1-21.
- Nair, A. and Vidal, J. M. 2011. Supply Network Topology and Robustness against Disruptions: An investigation using Multiagent Model. International Journal of Production Research, Special Issue: "Multi-agent and Holonic Techniques for Manufacturing Systems: Technologies and Applications," 49(5), 1391-1404.
- Nair, A., Narasimhan, R., Bendoly, E. 2011. Co-opetitive Buyer-Supplier Relationship: An Investigation of Bargaining Power, Relational Context, and Investment Strategies. Decision Sciences Journal, 42(1), 93-127.
- Nair, A., Malhotra, M., Ahire, S. 2011. Toward a theory of managing context in Six Sigma projects: An Action Research Investigation," Journal of Operations Management, Special Issue: "Field Research in Operations and Supply Chain Management," 29(5), 529-548.
- Boone, C., Craighead, C., Hanna, J., and Nair, A. 2013. Implementation of a System Approach for Enhanced Supply Chain Continuity and Resiliency: A Longitudinal Study. Journal of Business Logistics, 34(3), 220-232.
- Nair, A., Ataseven, C., and Swamidass, P. 2013. An examination of the use of manufacturing technologies and performance implications in US plants with different export intensities. International Journal of Production Research, 51(11), 3283-3299.
- Ataseven, C., Prajogo, D., Nair, A. 2014. ISO 9000 Internalization and Organizational Commitment - Implications for Process Improvement and Operational Performance. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 61(1), 5-17.
- Nair, A., Nicolae, M., Narasimhan, R. 2014. Examining the impact of clinical quality and clinical flexibility on cardiology unit performance - Does experiential quality act as a specialized complementary asset? Journal of Operations Management, 31(7-8), 505-522.
- Narasimhan, R., Nair, A. 2015. Towards a Theory-Driven Research Agenda in Six Sigma Quality Innovation: Linking Research Opportunities with Organization Theory Typology. International Journal of Quality Innovation, 1:5.
- Nair, A., Jayaram, J, and Das, A. 2015. Strategic Purchasing Participation, Supplier Selection, Supplier Evaluation and Purchasing Performance. International Journal of Production Research. 53(20), 6263-6278.
Nair, A., Yan, T., Ro, Y. K., Oke, A., Chiles, T. H.,
Lee, S-Y. 2016. How Environmental Innovations Emerge and Proliferate in Supply
Networks: A Complex Adaptive Systems Perspective. Journal of Supply Chain Management, 52(2), 66-86.
- Nair, A., Ataseven, C., Habermann, M., Dreyfus, D. 2016 Toward a Continuum of Measurement Scales in Just-In-Time (JIT) Research – An Examination of the Predictive Validity of Single-Item and Multiple-Item Measures. Operations Management Research, 9(1-2), pp.35-48.
- Giannoccaro, I. and Nair, A. 2016. Examining the roles of product complexity and managerial behavior on product design decisions: An agent-based study using NK simulation. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 63(2), 237 – 247.
- Yan, T. and Nair, A. 2016. Structuring supplier involvement in new product development: A China-US study. Decision Sciences, 47(4), 589-627.
- Ataseven, C., and Nair, A., 2017. Assessment of supply chain integration and performance relationships: A meta-analytic investigation of the literature. International Journal of Production Economics, 185, pp.252-265.
- Kalaignanam, K., Kushwaha, T. and Nair, A., 2017. The Product Quality Impact of Aligning Buyer-Supplier Network Structure and Product Architecture: an Empirical Investigation in the Automobile Industry. Customer Needs and Solutions, pp.1-17.
- Nair, A., Dreyfus, D. 2018. Technology
alignment in the presence of regulatory changes: The case of meaningful use of information
technology in healthcare. International
Journal of Medical Informatics (Forthcoming).
- Nair, A., Nicolae, M., Dreyfus,
D. 2017. Differential Impact of Network Size on Cost Performance for High and
Low Quality Hospitals: The Moderating Role of Hospital Demand. International Journal of Operations and
Production Management, (Forthcoming).
- Nair, A., Blome, C., Choi, T., Lee, Conner. 2018. Re-visiting collaborative behavior in supply networks – Structural embeddedness and the influence of contextual changes and sanction. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management (Forthcoming).
- Prajogo, D., Mena, C., Nair, A. 2018. The fit between supply chain strategies and practices: A contingency approach and comparative analysis. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management (Forthcoming).
- Giannoccaro, I., Nair, A., Choi, T. 2018. The impact of control and complexity on supply network performance: An empirically informed investigation using NK simulation analysis. Decision Sciences (Forthcoming).
- Ataseven, C., Nair, A., and Ferguson, M. 2018. An
examination of the relationship between Intellectual Capital and Supply Chain
Integration in Humanitarian Aid Organizations: A Survey-based Investigation of
Food Banks. Decision Sciences (Forthcoming).
- SCM 853: Operations Strategy
- SCM 826: Manufacturing Design and Analysis